Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Just like any other Thursday, this past Thursday I went to work, had my lunch in the park nearby and was planning on coming home to a laid back night and hanging out in the house.

That all changed when I received an email from my roommate that said " Is there anything I can pick up for tonights happy thanksgiving meal?

I wrote him back saying I wasn't really sure we were doing the meal.  I had mentioned it to my roomates in the first month I was here and had forgotten about it.

They obviously hadn't.

So I wrote him back and told him it was on and I'd be home at 6:30 and he'd better round up the troops to help chop and cook.  He was ready.  So I spent some time looking up recipes and figuring out what kinds of ingredients I'd be able to find here.  Obviously some things were out of the picture-pumpkin pie for example.

I decided on a menu and we put it into action at about 7:00pm.  By 12:00 we all sat down to dinner.  It was not exactly the most traditional dinner, but it was surprisingly close.  We ended up with no turkey, but chicken, and steak for our meat.  We had mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans and a peach pie for dessert.

We spoke Spanish throughout the meal which wasnt exactly typical of a thanksgiving meal...We were a worldy group to say the least.  We had representation from the United States, Colombia, Guatemala, Chile, Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Australia.

It was a great day!  We all helped out and I think I explained 10 times what the day was and why we were eating such a feast.

The one thing that was definitely the same this year, is we all ate too much!





No comments:

Post a Comment